Due to rising copyright costs and the growth of online access to databases and journals, the eReserves service will be discontinued starting fall 2020. In an effort to assist in this transition, a LibGuide has been made to help with understanding copyright and how to utilize resources, located here.  The Hubbard Library has how-to videos and reference librarians who can instruct in using and researching in our databases and online journals.  Below are some answers to questions about the dissolution of this service. 

What does this mean?

At the end of summer 2020 quarter, eReserves module will be closed on the Canvas module. Requests for scans of articles or chapters will no longer be fulfilled. 

How do I get my resources linked in my syllabus and in my Canvas course?

You can find links to your resources by searching for them at Fuller’s library site here. The Teaching & Learning team has a video here to show you how best to link your resources for your course. 

What is the max amount of a work I can scan and upload to my course?

To stay within Fair Use, it is advisable to stay within 10% or less of a book. Any more and this won’t be covered under Fair Use. Ten percent of a book roughly equals one chapter. 

What if I need more than 10% of a particular work?

There are three ways to secure copyright without breaking copyright law. 

  • Check our Annual License (instructions on how to do so are located here) to see if the excerpt is covered.
  • Check to see if the Hubbard Library has the book as an eBook through our catalog. If not, submit a request through Suggest a Book
  • If the book is not available as an eBook for institutions, it is suggested to make this text required and students will have to purchase it in either print or digital format. 

If scans are already made for the class, can I upload them to my course?

Unfortunately, only if it is 10% or less of the book. The Library had paid for copyright for each quarter for those scans, so more that 10% would fall outside of fair use. If these scans are uploaded without the publisher’s permission, Fuller may be subject to a lawsuit. 

Can the reference librarians find the resources I need for a course?

Reference librarians are available to assist in navigating Hubbard Library’s resources but cannot compose lists of items for faculty. 

Can I use ILL to fulfill requests for my class?

ILL is only for personal use only due to our agreements with other libraries. Scans for a class need to be done through your own means. 

Are there any exceptions?

Items may be requested for eReserves only for Spanish and Korean courses due to the limited worldwide availability of these books. Even in these languages, faculty are encouraged to find alternative digital resources whenever possible.

If you have any other questions, please contact ereserves@fuller.edu